Monday, December 1, 2008

American Thanksgiving in Canada!!

On Saturday the 29th, I celebrated Thanksgiving. As you know from the previous post, I had school all day on the 27th, so no time for turkey. I made the suggestion to the American students that we should try and get together on Saturday for dinner. Everyone in the class was invited. Well, it turns out that many people really wanted to join! So, Cecilia was a gracious hostess and hosted the dinner at her apartment.

During the day before the dinner, we decided to go to Costco to get food. Cristal has a Costco card from Mexico and it works here too. We checked for turkey, but Canadians celebrate a Thanksgiving holiday in October and it was still too early for Christmas turkey. So, we decided to get 3, 3-4 lb. chickens and roast them. I got some ingredients for corn bread too.

I went to Cecilia's apartment after that and started to cook the chickens. I made garlic lemon butter to put under the skins of each chicken and topped them with lemon slices. They smelled really good as they cooked. People slowly started to show up at that point. Everyone brought a little something too, food or wine, or something to share. Once the cornbread was done (it was started after the chicken, only one oven) it was time to eat. I have to say, everything that everyone made was really delicious! It was a great dinner all around. It was really cool too because this was a first Thanksgiving dinner for probably half of the people that came. There were 14 or 15 people that went I think. Great! I have many pictures from the night, so take a look.


Andrej seems pretty happy about Thanksgiving.


I think Cristal is dancing?

This picture kind of looks like a 90's sitcom intro. All we need is Cristal's name in yellow at the bottom.

Here's some food.

Getting ready to eat.

Cecilia wanted a picture of all the shoes.



Cecilia serving desert. It was very good.


TEXAS!

2 comments:

Mrs. Tolomeo said...

Hey Michael. Looks like you had a nice time. I wish we could all have Thanksgiving dinner while sitting on the floor!

Keiji said...

Hi,Michael. It was my first Thanksgiving because there is no Thanksgiving in Japan. I could enjoy so much. Good people, dinner, desert, everything was awesome.
I felt again that you have a lot of great friends in Vancouver!!
I appreciate you and everybody.